Seasonal Eating to Thrive Retreat – Spring
La Selva Beach near Aptos
"Barbie’s seasonal eating retreat with Community Cuisine was off the charts amazing. Everything about the retreat from start to finish exceeded my expectations. Eating to feed your body and soul and the concept of eating to heal your body is completely transformative. I’ve heard some of the things we learned before but it is so hard to sustain new habits. It truly was like parting the red sea. I feel like I can now do this on my own. I can feed myself and my family good tasting nutritious food without spending all day in the kitchen." ~ML
Nature has a plan, why reinvent the wheel?
In addition to learning the value of eating seasonally, we'll focus on the four “P's”:
- Spring: chicks are hatching, baby plants are sprouting and the weather is warming; it's the perfect time for reenergizing. Working with our simple Community Cuisine Planning System will put together a month’s worth of menus. We’ll cover tools that will work for varying personality types and phases of life.
- We’ll include strategies and lists for shopping the best sources for clean, healthy, seasonal foods.
- We'll visit the Santa Cruz farmer's market and purchase food for dinner.
- We’ll combine quality ingredients and seasonal foods that have not been in storage or traveled the globe and are full of nutrients. Those nutrients equal flavor!
- We’ll cover do-ahead prep techniques that are help you do “dinner a 30” while also being nutrient dense.
- We’ll practice Spring cooking techniques such as quick braising, sautéing, fermenting and more during our three cooking classes.
- We’ll cook together, experiment together, taste together, and dine together!
- Two nights and exclusive use of the historic Flora Vista Inn
- We’ll have an intimate group of like minded people with shared goals
- All meals - Friday dinner through Sunday brunch prepared by you (in class) with Barbie
- Three cooking classes taught by Barbie Aknin ($310 value)
- Education, discussion, and planning time with Barbie and Caprice to help make your desired lifestyle changes a breeze
- A working binder with seasonal recipes, Community Cuisine Planning System planning forms, sourcing list, recipes, tips and tools
- Includes an emailed PDF version
- A trip to the Santa Cruz farmers market to meet with vendors and purchase supplies for dinner
- A class with John Lima of New Natives Organic Micro Greens Farm on the heath benefits and uses of sprouted plants
- Time to relax and enjoy the inn and La Selva Beach
- Monthly follow up calls and support with Barbie or Caprice
- Community Cuisine’s private Facebook group where we can share triumphs, questions, recipes and ideas
- End of the season celebration cooking class and dinner in San Jose. Date TBD ($95 value)
- 15% off all cooking classes taught by Barbie Aknin. Good April through June
- A 10% discount on following Seasonal Eating to Thrive Retreat through 2018
Flora Vista Inn
We’ll have exclusive use of the historic Flora Vista Inn. Located along the Pacific Coast Bike Route, between Santa Cruz and Monterey, the inn is nestled among lush flower and strawberry fields, a short walk from spectacular beaches. The house sleeps ten in it's five guest rooms each equipped with TV, wireless Internet, private bathrooms, gas fireplaces and comfortable beds.
There are also two, tournament quality, Har-Tru clay tennis courts. Our tennis court bleachers are a great place to view the spectacularly starlit sky. La Selva and other beaches are a short walk from the inn.
Every room has something unique to offer and all rooms feature jacuzzi tubs, natural amenities, robes, WiFi and cable tv. Details are below with options for private rooms and shared rooms. Visit the Flora Vista Inn website for individual room details and more pictures.
Accommodations & Pricing:
Receive a 3% discount by paying by check.
We want to help you get there, contact us for a payment plan.
Heather: King Bed, private or shared option:
- King bed for one: large jetted tub and shower in room, private toilet & sink. $1,395
- King bed shared: large jetted tub and shower in room, private toilet & sink. $1,095 per person
Calla Lily: King Bed, private or shared option:
- King bed for one: separate bathroom with large jetted tub & shower. $1,395 now $945.00
- King bed shared: separate bathroom with large jetted tub & shower. $1,095 per person now $734.00
Poppy: Queen Bed, Private or Shared option:
- Queen bed for one: separate bathroom with large jetted tub & shower $1,275
- Queen bed, shared: separate bathroom with large jetted tub & shower $975 per person
- Queen bed for one: separate bathroom with shower $1,175 now $879.00
- Queen bed, shared: separate bathroom with shower $945 per person now $665.00
- Queen bed for one: separate bathroom with shower $1,175
- Queen bed, shared: separate bathroom with shower $945 per person
- Commuter: $595 now $395
- The commuter program starts at 9:00AM and includes everything listed in the program other than accommodations.