Tea-smoked mushrooms have a tea-infused, earthy, umami flavor. They are delicious served over warm Brie with crusty bread or in this salad. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup black tea leaves of your choice, such as Earl Grey, Lapsong Souchong, etc.
- 2 Tbls. whole black peppercorns, cracked
- 1 tsp. whole coriander seeds
- 4 slices (about 1 ounce) fresh ginger root
- 1 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise pod
- 1/4 cup indoor smoker wood shavings (optional)
- ½ Lbs. assorted mushrooms, shiitake, chanterelle, portobello, brown cremini, white
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil to coat the mushrooms
- Tea-smoking mixture (recipe below)
Dressing & Salad:
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1/2 Tbls. shallots, minced
- 1/4 Tbls. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbls. strong brewed black tea using the same tea as in smoking mixture
- 2/3 cup nut oil or mild olive oil
- Butter crunch lettuce and/or arugula
- 4 oz. mild, fresh goat cheese
To make Cayenne Cashews:
Preheat oven to 375˚
Add the cashews, sugar, and water to a sauce pot and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Strain the cashews and place them in a small mixing bowl. In another small bowl, mix salt and cayenne and sprinkle the cashews tossing to coat the cashews. Spread the nuts on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake them for 5 minutes, or until the cashews are golden brown. Remove the nuts from the oven and let them cool.
To make Tea Smoked Mushrooms:
Wash, dry and quarter or halve the mushrooms, depending on their size, into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Toss lightly to coat with garlic and olive oil.
Mix together all of the tea-smoking ingredients. Line a wok or sauté pan with a tight-fitting lid (do not use non-stick) with two layers of foil and place the smoking mixture in a mound in the center of the foil. Set a wire rack or vegetable stearmer in the wok and place a tight-fitting lid on top of the wok. Heat the wok until wisps of smoke appear when you briefly lift the lid.
Reduce the heat under the wok and quickly place the mushrooms on the rack in the wok. Replace cover. Smoke for about 5 minutes. Remove the mushrooms and place in a bowl to let stand at room temperature. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper to taste.
To make dressing:
In a small pan, bring the sherry to a boil to burn off the alcohol. Reduce slightly. Cool. Whisk together shallot, Dijon and tea. Whisk in oil and adjust seasoning.
Toss the lettuce with the dressing and mound on a platter. Top with mushrooms, crumbled cheese and cashews. Serve.
Other options for smoking
- Asparagus and other veggies, Rhubarb, firm tofu, Tempeh, prawns, scallops, or halibut or salmon fillets.
- Serve the smoked mushrooms over ramen noodles in broth sprinkled with chives
- Serve on toasted bread with Brie or goat cheese as an appetizer
*Mushrooms adapted from Cooking with Tea, Robert Wemischner