- 1 cup spelt flour or whole wheat, einkorn or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup organic, raw sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, Greek style works too, room temp.
- 3 large eggs, room temp.
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 basket fresh green or purple figs, stemmed and halved
- 1/2 cup lemon marmalade, strained, or lemon glaze made with:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1 tsp. each lemon juice & orange flower water
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts, optional
- 9-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan with removable bottom
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350˚. degrees. Butter your pan. If using a cake pan, place it on a baking sheet and set aside.
Whisk together the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Put the sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest in a medium bowl and, working with your fingertips, rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is moist and aromatic. Add the yogurt, eggs and vanilla to the bowl and whisk vigorously until the mixture is very well blended. Still whisking, stir in the dry ingredients, just until blended. Whisk in the butter. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top and place the figs on the batter gently, cut side up.
Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Transfer the pan to a rack, cool. If using the cake pan, cool for 10 minutes, run a knife between the cake and the sides of the pan and un-mold to cool right-side up.
To glaze: Put the marmalade in a small pot and stir in a teaspoon of water. Heat just until liquefied. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the cake with the glaze.
Sugar glaze: Whisk glaze ingredients. It should be thick, yet pourable. Once cake is cool, drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.
- Served with a little sweetened crème fraîche
- Replace figs with sliced peaches or plums
- Bake in a 8 1/2-x-4 1/2-inch loaf pan for 50 to 55 minutes
- Double the recipe. Bake in two buttered 9-inch round cake pans for 35 to 40 minutes. When cool, use a serrated knife to cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Fill with lemon curd, marmalade, raspberry jam, or whipped crème fraîche.
- Riviera Cake: Substitute olive oil for the butter and add 1/2 Tbls. finely minced fresh rosemary to the bowl when you are rubbing the sugar and lemon zest together.
Very adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan