Root Vegetable Slaw Serves 6
- 3 medium beets, I like golden beets
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 celery root
- 1 medium kohlrabi
- sea salt
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp superfine sugar or honey
- 3/4 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup mint leaves, shredded
- 2/3 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel all the vegetables and slice them thinly, about 1/16 inch thick. Stack a few slices at a time on top of one another and cut them into matchstick like strips. Alternatively, use a grater or a food processor with a grater attachment. Place the vegetables in a large bowl and season liberally with salt. Set aside for 20-30 minutes.
Make the dressing by placing the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir until the sugar and the salt have dissolved. Remove from the heat.
Drain the vegetable strips and rinse will with cold water. Place in a clean tea towel or paper towel and pat dry. Return to a dry bowl. Pour the hot dressing over the vegetables, mix well, and chill in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
When ready to serve, add the herbs, lemon zest, and 1 teaspoon black pepper to the salad. Toss well, taste, and add more salt if needed.
Adapted from Plenty, Yotam Ottolenghi